Today, chouchous, I am putting together a fashion show for you! A vintage fashion show.
Seeing the beautiful Saul Leiter retrospective at the Bunkamura Museum, Tokyo inspired me to look for more of his early work, shot mostly for Harper’s Bazaar in the 1950’s-60’s.
When looking at these photographs, at the artistry of the man behind the camera, it’s amazing to know that being a fashion photographer was only Saul Leiter’s bread and butter. He aspired to capture something different, something even more ethereal than the world of fashion. He was an artist who explored the full potential of his talent, who was able to convey the beauty of details, patterns colors, textures that most people wouldn’t have noticed.
Here are some of Bijou Caillou’s absolute fashion favourites by Saul Leiter:
1. Waiting. Harper’s Bazaar, 1959
2. The Lean Coat La Vigna
3. A Magic Show in 4 Scenes, Harper’s Bazaar, 1960
4. A Magic Show in 4 Scenes, Harper’s Bazaar, 1960
5. David Crystal dress, Harper’s Bazaar, 1964
6. Harper’s Bazaar, 1955
7. Adele Simpson dress, Harper’s Bazaar, 1962